About Me

My photo
We JUST got married July 30 2010 on the Starship Yacht in Tampa Bay. This blog is to showcase the awesome DIY details that will make our guests feel how special they are and how much we appreciate them coming. This is my first blog! So far I am enjoying doing this. I just got a new job teaching 2nd grade and I plan to make a class blog as well so look out for that pretty soon!! Thanks for viewing my blog :)

Friday, August 6, 2010

What is a POM? How do you make a POM?

A POM, my friends, is a small flower-like wonderfulness made with styrofoam balls, hot glue, and pins (decorative pins are optional).

I originally saw the Pom Flower on the website Once Wed under DIY Weddings. They call it DIY POM POM FLOWERS..
I thought they were pretty cute but never imagined making them. Then my good childhood friend Brittany posted some facebook pictures of her making POM flowers to decorate her room!! When I saw that she was able to make them, I knew I could probably make them too........though at that time I didn't take into account that I would be making between 80-100 FULL poms, and she only made 3-4 half poms to hang flat on her wall..................My mom told her it's a good thing my family lovers her so much at my wedding shower b/c we had been making POMS POMS POMS seemingly every second of the day.

So here are some pictures of our Pom Flowers, and below you will find a step by step picture instruction of how we made them.
We started with fabric but then my mom found this FABULOUS orange sparkly tissue paper! I will get the website from her and add it when I can.


HOW WE MADE OUR POM FLOWERS:

We used 2"- 2 1/2 '' regular styrofoam balls you find in the floral section of a craft store. We used a cup as a circle template (the circle is the "petal") that was proportionate and appropriate to our size ball (if you are using a large styrofoam ball, your circle will need to be bigger!). You can follow the directions on ONCE WED as well but we found some shortcuts....

We used two different color oranges for some contrast and interest and YES the dark orange paper has sparkles in it! Thanks mom!!! :)



First you fold the circle in half; you will have a half circle (duh!). You do NOT need to glue anywhere yet.

Then, you fold your half circle in half so you have a triangle shape. DO NOT crease the folders tightly - just fold it and let it be loose.

Next you put a dab of hot glue across both folds.

Next, fold the triangle shape in half, making sure the glue attaches both folds to the other side. You may want to stick your finger or a pencil in the center of the "petal" to fluff it up a bit, otherwise it will be flat...




Then you will proceed to attach them to the styrofoam balls with decorative (or regular) pins. (I have pictures of this to add later but will explain now!). Lay the petal on the ball, pointy side down. The more of the point you have flattened on the ball, the less petals you will end up using (b/c you will be covering the ball more). When you decide where you want the petal, get a pin and insert it into the center of the petal, straight down into the ball. You might have to take it out and put it back in to figure out how it looks the best. Trial and error :) It takes a long time but it's fun! And I love them!

Thank you to my mom and Kristen for making my Pom dreams come true at my wedding :)







After the Poms were made, my wonderful mother ordered "Halley and Andrew" silver ribbons and tied them in bows. We put them on the champagne flutes at the tables to create a center line and some vertical interest. I wish we could have made GIGANTIC ones and had them all over the place but when you see the HOW-TO photos below...you'll understand!







PS: The linens were supposed to be a light organza grey/silver.....but I showed up to a dark grey crushed thing. Nothing I could do about it then....didn't even say a word to the wedding coordinator from the boat. If you can't change it....don't worry about it.

2 comments:

Carly A. Heitlinger said...

SOOOOO CUTE! I live in Tampa btw! I'm actually interning for the riverwalk and the starship is a huge part of it! xoxo

StitcherDee said...

awe, one of my pictures made it to your blog. i feel so special :)